Thursday, June 18, 2009

Birthday Gifts

Well...I am officially no longer a child. Today is my 30th birthday. I always felt as though I could still be a "kid" when I was in my 20s, but I don't think the number 30 lends itself so well to "kid."

My husband is right behind me...he will turn 30 in August. We talked about what it felt like to be 30. It really doesn't feel a whole lot different than any other number. Our knees just pop more and I have to spend more money on hair color to cover gray instead of creating fake blond highlights. I have more money, but I also have more bills...mo' money mo' problems right? I used to think 30 was an age where you had been an adult for a long time and had everything figured out. But I still feel as though I could easily use the phrase "When I Grow Up..." at anytime and still make it work.


I also thought I would have kids by now. Our "plan" was to have 3...one at 28, one at 30, and one at 32. Hmm...guess we are working on two at 30 to get us back on plan. Looks like we will start IVF#1 (and only one would be nice) in late July.

But hey, not too many of us can say that they spent $13,500 plus on a birthday present.

Wouldn't a baby (or two) make a great birthday gift?


However...I did receive a really cool gift that I wanted to share. As many of you know, I lost a dear friend almost a month ago when he was hit by a wrong way driver. There have been many times that I have prayed to God to please let me know that Jay is okay. After my prayers, I would tell Jay just to get to me when he could...I know there were other people he needed to get to first...his fiance, his family, and so many of his friends. I have yet to dream about Jay since the accident (and I am a big dreamer)...but...last night I did.

In my dream...Jay was sitting in the office, talking as usual to another teacher. I looked at my other colleague and asked if he thought it was weird. Jay looked it me and said, "What? Weird that I am here talking to you?" Long story short...in the dream Jay and I went on to talk about how great his life was here on Earth before he died. At the end of all of it he looked at me and said, "If you think I had it good here, imagine what I've got now."


He smiled. Then I woke up.

God let my friend tell me he was okay. On my birthday. One of the best gifts I could have gotten.


The point of all this is to share with you that God is in control. Sometimes I wish He would let me in on His plans, but I have faith that He will provide.


Be it a dream or a baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AP - Just looked up James 1:2-4. Love it! Thanks so much! You know, I turn 30 next month right around the time I'll find out if our IVF cycle worked and I'm praying for the same thing as you - the BESTEST birthday present ever. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

P.S. you should check out this group over at Baby Center for people going through IVF around July (give or take a month)...http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a6684455/july_09_ivf_cycle_buddies

Tara said...

What a beautiful post. I am in tears!! God is in control. It's so hard to remember that sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday!!