Friday, August 5, 2011

A Hot (but Sweet) Mess

Poor Baby Girl. It has been one thing after another with her lately. We have been to the doctor 3 out of 5 weeks in the past month or so for this little munchkin...and I am hopeful we are finally on the road to recovery. Goes a little something like this...

15 month check-up...shots. Ouch.
Little eczema flare-up on back with some other topical dermititis...no biggie. Cream. Goes away.
Runny nose.
Clingy baby.
Crusty nose.
Clingy baby.
Runny and crusty nose at the same time...still clingy baby.
(Finally goes away on its own...we all had it.)

Blister on back of foot from a new pair of shoes.
Boo-boo on knee from falling on driveway.
5 bajillion mosquito bites from going outside unprotected (now we have gallons of bug spray).
Eczema flare-up again this time on legs and some on arm.
Go back to doc. More cream. Add topical antibiotic to prevent a staph infection in case she scratches. Dose of oral steroid for inflammation.

Eczema not getting better....getting worse. Covers good portion or legs and arms. And add the diaper rash from HELL. Screaming and shaking when we try to change her diaper. Back to doc.

See Dr. H because Dr. B was already booked up for the day and she HAD to be seen. Dr. H gets nurse to get Dr. B to come look. Both doctors agree that her diaper rash is caused by a strep infection (perianal strep...how lovely) and the secondary rash is a by-product of the strep infection...but it is SO incredibly rare and uncommon that they "wish a med student was here because it was such a teachable moment." Great...just what I wanted to hear.

They both agreed the secondary rash was ______. Something really long and crazy and dammit why don't I ask them to write these things down so I can google it to confirm that yes indeed I am going to have to invest in that bubble after all. (I will get the name...promise.)

So...antibiotic and oral steroid...and I think we are on the road to recovery...but I will be back in that office on Monday if she isn't (almost) 100%. I hate it when my babies are sick. Hate it.

Love this girl...she is so sweet...even though she has been a hot mess lately.





5 comments:

Life Happens said...

Oh my goodness. Poor baby girl...poor mommy and daddy! I hope she feels better soon! It's so hard when they are sick and misreable and you can't do anything. :(

Emby said...

Poor thing. I hope she is 100% better soon because that all sounds awful!

Coakley's Journey said...

POOR THING....I hate it when babies are sick too. Especially when they cant talk to you....I hope she get feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet baby girl! So hard to see your little one suffer at all and not be able to take it all away. I've never heard of that kind of strep.

BTW, anxious to hear an update on Andy!

Once Upon A Time said...

Oh poor little Caroline! Thank goodness she seems to be on the road to recovery now, though.